Thursday, November 3, 2016

What’s the Difference


     While, this blog doesn’t directly reflect philosophical points of modernism or post modernism, I believed it was important to write for myself, and others. Last week while trying to discuss a situation I had at Target, I made the mistake of “othering.” This mistake, fueled an in class discussion that left me feeling upset and border line angry. I couldn’t understand what I had done so wrong in discussing how a foreign group was rude to me in the check out line at Target. But after leaving class I began to reflect on the situation, which led me to see the errors in my ways. My self reflection not only helped me see the error I had made, but also the error that many of us make when we quickly formulate words without thought. In my hasty judgment I generalized the individuals in front of me as being foreigners because of the way they spoke, dressed, and acted. The couple in front of me could have very well been American citizens just like myself, but I couldn’t see past what I saw as difference. Furthermore, the way I described the individuals in class made it seem like they were outsiders when in reality we probably had more in common than the small differences I saw. 
     We as people need to see others for our likeness instead of our differences. Color, race, and gender are only small blotches of difference on the fabric of human existence. Whether we knowingly or unknowingly make these utterances of “othering” they still have the same effect on us. Utterances of difference only cut our eclectic fabric at the very seems that hold us together, creating a larger divide. We must all be cognizant of what we say and how our words can be portrayed, especially when talking about people. Human existence is beautiful and should be celebrated for its richness of different people who bring about new ideas, thoughts and ways of life.

1 comment:

  1. I want to say this is my first time ever replying to someone on this blog, so crossing my fingers that I’m doing it right!

    Anyway, I really appreciate that you took the time to reflect on this incident in class and then feel comfortable enough to write about it too. It takes a really special person to step outside of their comfort zone and elaborate on an in class discussion. Since I am a CMC major, I always love seeing when people step out of their bubble and try to adapt fully into the CMC environment. I’m sure you already know this, but I give you mad props for stepping into our class without having any prior knowledge about our CMC courses. You are truly someone that I look up to and I hope there are more people in our world that have a passion for learning such as yourself.

    Bare with me here as I try to interplay some philosophical theories into to this comment :).

    Macherey once said, “It is the rupture that which must be studied” (23). I found that this quote easily related to our conversation the other day, because everything in our world is intertextual. In order to understand the work at hand, one must move outside the perimeters of the issue. You moved outside of your own ideology and decided to see a different side. It was very enlightening to watch someone, such as yourself, move outside of the issue and try to see it from another side. It takes a very strong person to do that and you did it with ease. Many people in our world today are very unaware and sadly uneducated on many current issues. Fortunately, we are all comfortable with one another to sit around a table, explore sensitive topics and open our minds to whatever issue is at stake.

    I remember when I first sat in on a CMC class and I thought I was in the wrong class. Now looking back, I would never change my major because you learn so many different things that I never thought were possible. It’s truly amazing to sit in class with all of these talented, amazing people around me. CMC definitely offers an entirely new perspective on life, but that is why I love it because it challenges many of my own personal beliefs.

    When we were having that discussion the other day about “othering” people (Us vs Them), I hope you didn’t feel as if you were being attacked. It was very refreshing to watch someone as bright as yourself sit there and take in all the feedback from me, Dr.C and our fellow classmates. I truly applaud you for writing this blog post too because it takes a lot to admit seeing something from a different view point.

    CMC and Macherey go pretty well together because they are both questioning what is not there. Macherey would always say that there is always the possibility of saying something else, but its our decision to explore that other side. I have to admit that I am even guilty of making mistakes and utter things that I shouldn’t. What CMC does is it challenges people to become more aware of what they are saying, so they don’t negatively reinforce differences, stereotypes and issues. If it wasn’t for CMC, I wouldn’t stop, think and reflect on some of the words that come out of my mouth.

    You said, “Human existence is beautiful and should be celebrated for its richness of different people who bring about new ideas, thoughts and ways of life.” I found this quite beautiful when I read this off your post and it makes me so happy that CMC opened your mind to reflect on this in class discussion. I could go on all day about how awesome CMC is and how awesome you are for your blog post, but I probably should stop writing. Anyway, Macherey would truly be proud of you! Macherey said, “to know the work, we must move outside it” (20). And that is exactly what you did my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete